Glacial mountains, lush, tropical landscapes, turquoise lakes and Machu Picchu. This trek has it all!
- Day 01: Cusco – Mollepata – Marcco Qasa – Laguna Humantay – Soraypampa
- Day 02: Soraypampa – Paso Salkantay – Huayraqmachay – Chaullay
- Day 03: Chaullay – Colpapampa – Sahuayaco – Lucmabamba
- Day 04: Lucmabamba – Llaqtapata (Inca Site) – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
- Day 05: Machu Picchu – Cusco
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – MARCCO QASA – SORAYPAMPA
We leave Cusco at 05:00 am in a private transport of the company to reach Mollepata (2900 masl), passing before through Izcuchaca and Limatambo, we’ll arrive at our destination Mollepata at around 07:30 a.m where we will stop for 40 minutes to breakfast and introduce to the carrier who will accompanies us for the next 03 days of the tour, then we have 30 minutes more away by car to get to Marcco Qasa.
here we’ll start our first day of trek, we will have five hours walk to the camp site ; during the hike we wil able to enjoy the majestic snow-capped mountain of Humantay (5,480 masl), walking on the mountains of the Andes up to reach the campsite of Soraypampa where the first lunch will be held, after a delicious lunch and a short break, we’ll continue climbing up for one and half hours then we can appreciate a beautiful lagoon located very close of the glacier, forty minutes to appreciate it and get information from the professional tour guide, after just the way back to first camp Soraypampa (3,900 masl) at approximately 05:00 p.m. We will have “tea time” where our guests can enjoy the famous coca tea to counteract altitude sickness and where our guide will explain a little more of the area in which we are, then we will enjoy the Andean night sky to understand a bit more of Andean astronomy. Following that comes dinner and then, we will rest to be ready for the next day, it will be the hardest of all the way (Night camp in Soraypampa).
- Estimated time to walk: 6 to 7 hours.
- Total distance: 16 km
- Altitude of our camp: 3,900 masl.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – PASO SALKANTAY – HUAYRAQMACHAY – CHAULLAY
After a succulent breakfast, we’ll prepare ourselves for our trek doing different stretching exercises, this will be a good long hard day, we’ll get to the highest point of our tour, we’ll have 04 hours of ascent from Soraypampa to Salkantay Pass (4,600 masl), during the ascent, we will enjoy different gaps and appreciate the change of ecological floor Quechua area to the high mountain area, if the weather favours us, we could enjoy the majestic Apu Salkantay (6,500 masl) which is one of the most important mountains in geography department of Cusco and one of the most important in the Inca culture, after an explanation of the area by our specialized tour guide and giving time for the passenger to enjoy their snacks mountains (from the agency), we will start the descent to the village of Huayracmachay where we will have lunch, after a deserved nap, we’ll continue our descent to the village of Chaullay, place where we’re going to spend the second night in the latter part of the day, we will enjoy the geographical shift between cold, dry area we were in the days to the most tropical zone, we will also enjoy the change in the flora and fauna, we will see several kinds of birds as well as different orchids, reach the point of camping at around 05:00 p.m . Same as the previous day, we’ll have teatime and then dinner and overnight (Night camp in Chaullay).
- Estimated time to walk: 8 to 9 hours.
- Total distance: 21 km
- Altitude of our camp: 2,750 meters above sea level.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – COLPAPAMPA – SAHUAYACO – LUCMABAMBA.
This day will be unique and memorable because we’ll see during the walk a great variety of flora and fauna, starting from CHAULLAY, passing through COLLPAPAMPA community and continuing our descent through the local vegetation, watching hot springs in a valley, near the course of the river Santa Teresa, where several varieties of orchids and large waterfalls can also be observed, we’ll also feel the large climate change because this day will enter the jungle area called or high forest, after reaching Lucmabamaba .where we will have the lunch made by our way chef. After lunch will be time to know about the local peaple customs and traditions and have the opportunity to see how they work with the coffee, from the coffee plantation to coffee processing and the end to have a real peruvian cap of coffe.
Optional: to Santa Teresa where we can visit the thermal baths of Cocalmayo
- Estimated time to walk: 5 to 6 hours.
- Total distance: 16 km
- Altitude of our camp: 2,400 meters above sea level.
DAY 4: LUCMABAMBA – LLAQTAPATA (INCA SITE) – HIDROELECTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES
On this day we will climb up about 3 hours, through an original Inca Trail till to get to the first archeological site of this trail in this part of the mountain you will see a lot of vegetation, flowers, shrubs, trees of high forest once we reache the archaeological site, We also have the view of Machu Picchu from a different mountain chain. a totally different view to the traditional photos that we all know. After having a guided tour of Llactapata and having explored this archaeological complex, we have to make a descent of an average of 2 hours until we reach a hydroelectric plant where we will have the last lunch with our cook. After lunch we will continue our walk towards the town of Aguas Calientes, this walk lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes, during this tour we will pass through Mandor, also known for its botanical gardens that show beautiful, colorful flowers and many species of orchids, and if you have time you could also visit the Mandor waterfalls. Our arrival to the town of Machu Picchu will be at 5:00 PM average, place where we will spend the night in a comfortable hotel with private rooms, hot shower, cable TV and Wi-Fi. Around 7:00 PM, we will have dinner and last preparations for the most important day of our excursion, the visit to the sacred city of the Incas MACHUPICCHU !!!
- Estimated time to walk: 8 to 9 hours.
- Total distance: 18 km
- Altitude of our accommodation: 2,000 meters above sea level.
DAY 5: MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO.
Very early after breakfast (approximately 05:00 a.m), we’ll begin the ascent by an hour hike to the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu, in this way, we could be one of the first groups within the Inca city allowing us to enjoy the majestic sunrise, then we will have a tour of the most important compounds Inca temples and palaces inside the Citadel of Machu Picchu, with your tour guide for approximately 02 hours, then you can explore the mysterious city on your own (Optional climb of the Wayna Picchu mountain, cost $20 per person).
At the appropriate time, we’ll descend from Machu Picchu to “Aguas Calientes” to board the train back to Ollantaytambo and from there, the car back to Cusco.
End of the services.
- Pick-up from the hotel 30 minutes before the departure of Cusco.
- Private transfer to Mollepata, starting point of the tour.
- Professional Spanish and Inglés Tour Guide.
- Entrance ticket to Salkantay Trail. Entrance to Machu Picchu Archaeological Sanctuary.
- Porters and horses to carry all the equipment, tents, food, cooking equipment, restaurants and tents, equipment passenger (6 kilos maximum).
- Permits and tickets for our porters and chefs.
- 4 breakfasts, 4 snacks, 4 lunches, and 4 dinners. All These meals are prepared by our chef and his assistant
- Coca tea is served every morning in your tent.
- Boiled water after breakfast, to refill Their water bottles (one liter per person).
- Lunch with hot drinks like tea and coffee coke. Appetizers every morning or snacks.
- Oxygen and first aid kit.
- Vegetarian and special diets on request.
- All equipment, Including tents for personnel.
- 2-hour guided tour in Machu Picchu.
- Expedition train back to Ollantaytambo and then a by bus to Cusco.
- Hotel 01 night in Aguas Calientes
- Lunch on the fifth day.
- Sleeping bag (can be rented in our office $ 25 for the entire trip).
- Bastones de trekking, puede alquilar en nuestra oficina (el par $ 15.00 USD por todo el viaje).
- Entrance to the mountain Huayna Picchu ($ 20 USD).
RECOMMENDATIONS TO BRING
- Carry original passport and card of migration (TAM).
- ISIC card (www.isic.org) if applicable (must be submitted at the time of booking).
- Carry a sleeping bag (can be rented at the agency).
- Carry hiking boots and sandals (very important).
- Carry trekking poles (can be rented at the agency)
- Coats: layers of varying temperatures, especially at night. Thermal / gloves / scarves: woolen socks / woolen hat for cold nights, shirts for the whole trek.
- Carry a headlamp.(Very important)
- Carry a camera and extra batteries.
- Carry sunscreen / hat and sunglasses.
- Carry personal medical kit.
- Carry insect repellent.
- Rain gear: a good raincoat and rain pants and a rain poncho plastic.
- Carry toilet paper.
- Carry a small towel.
- Extra money for drinks and gratuities, souvenirs, etc. (soles or dollars).
- Carry swimwear for the hot springs (optional).
- Carry a water Bottle (recommended 1 liter).